Sharon Needles is the stage name of Aaron Coady, an American drag performer, recording artist and winner of season 4 of "Rupaul's Drag Race". A self-described "stupid genius, reviled sweetheart, and PBR princess," Needles rose to prominence on the fourth season of the Logo reality competition where she quickly became a fan favorite and was subsequently crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar" in April 2012.
Sharon's real name is Aaron Coady. Sharon Needles' name originated when Sharon and her brother were trying to come up with an offensive play on words, thus the name Sharon Needles was born. Sharon had a rough childhood growing up in Newton, Iowa, where she dealt with anti gay views on a daily basis. She eventually relocated to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2004 to pursue her love of drag.
Sharon was in a long relationship with fellow drag queen, Alaska Thunderfuck, during the course of season four. On the show, it was revealed by Sharon that Alaska had auditioned for all four seasons of the show and had never made it. Sharon had only auditioned for her season and got selected right away. She felt guilty for this but eventually overcame it with the help of Alaska, RuPaul, and her fellow Queens.
Though her relationship with Alaska did not last, she is now engaged to a Special FX Artist named Chad O'Connell
RuPaul's Drag RaceEdit
During the course of the season, Sharon endeared herself to both fans and judges with her spooky aesthetic, quick wit, and humble attitude. She dazzled the judges each week with her appearances on the runway.
Sharon was one of the final three girls alongside fellow queens Phi Phi O'Hara and Chad Michaels. The three performed in the music video for Rupaul's song "Glamazon". On April 30, 2012 Sharon Needles was crowned America's Next Drag Superstar of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 4 at the Reunion special.
RuPaul's Drag Race StatsEdit
|Notes:||1st Main Challenge Win||2nd Main Challenge Win||Team Challenge||Snatch Game Challenge||Placed in Bottom 2 w/ Phi Phi O'Hara but neither were eliminated due to disqualification of Willam||3rd Main Challenge Win||Make-Over Challenge||4th Main Challenge Win (Series Record)||No Elimination Ep.||Recap Ep.||Reunion Ep. Crowed Season 4 Winner|
|Season Competed:||Season 4|
|Ranking:||1st Place (Winner)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (ep. 11)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||4 (ep. 1, 3, 9, 11)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (ep. 8)|
- Sharon is the winner of Season 4.
- Sharon holds the record for the most main challenges won in one season by one contestant, with a total of four main challenge wins. This makes her the season winner with the most main challenge wins.
- Sharon won the main challenges in episode 1 ("RuPocalypse Now!"), episode 3 ("Glamazons vs. Champions"), episode 9 ("Frock the Vote!"), and episode 11 ("The Fabulous Bitch Ball").
- In episode 5, "Snatch Game", Sharon portrayed panel judge Michelle Visage. She was praised for her portrayal, but did not win the challenge.
- Sharon won only one mini-challenge during her season, in episode 11. She never once won the role of team captain.
- The prizes Sharon won for winning her season included a headlining spot on Logo's Drag Race Tour featuring Absolut Vodka, a one-of-a-kind trip, a lifetime supply of NYX Cosmetics, a cash prize of $100,000, and the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar."
- Sharon is the first contestant in series history to win the $100,000 grand prize, which at the time was the highest cash prize amount ever awarded on the show and is the current amount awarded to season winners from season 4 and onward.
- Sharon is the first Caucasian season winner in series history.
Sharon was initially chosen to be a part of RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars by the fans. However, due to the fact that she was chosen as the champion of season four and was extremely busy, she recorded a Facebook message to her fans that while she was flattered, she would not take part in the competition. Instead, fan favorite Pandora Boxx would be taking her place.
Following the show, Sharon has continued to make drag apperances across the US and Canada. She is currently serving as a host on Logo TV for a month of horror films. She is also a spokesperson for PETA, as she is a vegetarian. She also had a day named "Sharon Needles Day" in Pittsburgh on June 12, 2012. She performed as Dr. Frankenfurter in Texas for a limited run of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
She is playing in a theater version of The Craft along with Peaches Christ, Alaska Thunderfuck and Honey Mohagany. She has also recorded an album with people she admires, such as Amanda Lepore, Jane County (first transgender woman in a punk rock band) and RuPaul.
- During the Show
- Season 4 is going to be Cancelled!
- Do I think I'm gonna win RuPaul's drag race? I dunno!
- I look spooky, but I'm really nice!... At least for now!
- Three words to describe Sharon Needles are Beautiful, Spooky, and Stupid.
- You should have seen what me and Ru were on, at the limelight. It's all behind us now, we're on uppers, downers, and candycorns! - As Michelle Visage in the "Snatch Game"
- Though I may dabble in the black-arts, when I hear RuPaul's music, I see the light!
- Dida Ritz, a lot of you girls like to clock me for painting my skin on the gray side, but I was inspired by your knees... and they're the same color as Willam's chin!
- Jiggly Caliente, you're such a fat slut, after sex you smoke hams!
- I LOVE PUSSY
- Tired Ass Showgirl
- Have you done porn? You should certainly consider it!
- Playing girly-ish and bouncy is something really foreign to me.
- My hand works great on a snake.
- I fully support gay divorce.
- I have ‘dignity’ looks and ‘paycheck’ looks. Dignity is when I will not bend, for anyone. I don’t care if I make a dollar, I’m doin what I’m doin. Then there’s times the electric’s about to shut off so I dress up like Lady GaGa.
- When in doubt, freak ‘em out.
- I like spotlight, not sunlight.
- There's nothing natural about me.
- …she ordered those tears from China
- Damn those chinese fingers are good
- I’m working with a DILK: A Dad I’d Like to Kill.
- Well, I enjoy being down on a pole.
- Latrice is taking me to church [with her lipsynch]. I mean, my skin started smoking.
- Off the Show
- Being booed off stage is just an applause from ghosts!
- Sharon is a vegetarian.
- In the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; June 12 is city recognized Sharon Needles Day.
- This Club Is A Haunted House (feat. RuPaul)
- Call Me On the Ouija Board
- Dead Girls Never Say No
- Drink Till I Die
- I Wish I Were Amanda Lepore (feat. Amanda Lepore)
- Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?
- Disco Ball
- Dressed To Kill
- Let's All Die
- Kai Kai (feat. Ana Matronic & Alaska Thunderfuck)
- (Everyday Is) Halloween (feat. Armen Ra)
- Hail Satan! (feat. Jayne County)
Follow Sharon NeedlesEdit
|RuPaul's Drag Race Season 4|
| Winner: 1st: Sharon Needles
Other Contestants: 4th: Latrice Royale (Miss Congeniality), 5th: Dida Ritz, Disqualified: Willam Belli, 6th: Jiggly Caliente, 7th: Milan, 8th: Kenya Michaels,
Pit Crew: Jason Carter, Shawn Morales