RuPaul, also known as RuPaul Charles is an American drag performer, actor, television host, and recording artist. RuPaul is well known for appearing in several films, and being the host and judge for her own popular reality television series RuPaul's Drag Race.
RuPaul, born RuPaul Charles was born in San Diego, California on November 17, 1960.
RuPaul is known as the top drag queen in the industry of drag, the supermodel of the world, a fashion icon, singer, songwriter, actress, new shoe designer, and the host/creator of RuPaul's Drag Race.
In the early 1990s, RuPaul worked in the club scenes in Georgia and went by his full birth name. Other than participating in drag performances, RuPaul performed solo and in collaboration with other bands at several New York nightclubs, such as the Pyramid Club. Alongside his best friend/drag queen business partner, Lady Bunny, Ru appeared for many years at the annual Wigstock drag festival and appeared in the documentary Wigstock: The Movie. In the 1990s, RuPaul was known in the UK for his appearances on the series Manhattan Cable, a weekly series produced by World of Wonder, and presented by American Laurie Pike about New York's public-access television system.
RuPaul was most noted for his 1993 single, "SuperModel of the World".
RuPaul's role on RuPaul's Drag Race is to invite a large group of drag queens to compete for the crown of America's Next Drag Superstar.
Drag Name OriginalityEdit
There is no drag name for this supermodel of the world. RuPaul decided to keep her birth name RuPaul, but without Charles at the end.
- You can call me he. You can call me she. You can call me Regis and Cathy Lee; I don't care! Just as long as you call me.
- I do not impersonate females! How many women do you know who wear seven inch heels, four foot wigs, and skintight dresses?
- As the two of us sat watching TV, Kurt Loder popped up on the tube, teasing an MTV News story with footage of me frolicking around a shopping mall in Jersey City. He said "Coming up next, she's er ah he's 6' 4" and supermodel of the world. Me and Mama both looked at each other, and in that moment we simultaneously realized that her prediction, made 32 years prior, had finally come true. I was a star. That was the last time I saw Mama. " - on his mother Ernestine Charles
- I was having breakfast in the Presidential Suite of the Century Plaza Hotel courtesy of the "John & Leeza Show" when the phone rang and it was my manager. He told me that Elton John wanted to include me on his upcoming "Duets" album and was I interested? I said, "Hold on one minute." The size of the suite gave me the opportunity to flail my arms around while running back and forth screaming "Oh my God Elton John! Oh my God, Elton John!" I must have screamed for a good five minutes before I got back on the line and answered nonchalantly, Sure.
- Doing what I do for a living has never been easy. I've had to fight countless battles in this game that the public has no idea ever happened. But, I just pick myself up and carry on, I Carry On.
- I've dedicated my career to fighting the mundane. My hope is that my career will be a shining example to children everywhere that life is more meaningful when you are not afraid to see all colors of the rainbow.
- Remember, this country was founded by a bunch of men wearing wigs.
- ALL Seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race
- The time has come, for you to lip-sync, for your life!
- Good luck, and don't f*** it up!
- Shante, you stay
- Sashay away
- If you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else? Can I get an amen up in here?
- Hello Hello Hello!
- Silence! I've made my decision. Bring back my girls!
- I've consulted with the judges, but the final decision is mine to make.
- You're safe.
- I'm sorry my dear, but you're up for elmination.
- In the great tradition of Paris is Burning, "Get out your Library Cards!"
- Condragulations, you are the winner of this weeks challenge
- RPDR Season 1
- Extravaganza Eleganza!
- RPDR Season 2
- Tyra Sanchez, the other Tyra!
- RPDR Season 3
- RPDR Season 4
- London, Paris, Milan!
- May I call you Jiggly?
- I'll have a Latrice Royale on the rocks.
- "Alright, I'll see ya lata!"
- "No T, no shade!"
- “Time to push, ladies. PUUUSSH! Because I’m about to crown … moan … America’s Next Drag Superstar.”
- “I get worried when you do that ‘oh it’s going to be fine’ … there have been times when you’ve done that and then uh-uh *mumbles*”
- RuPaul can be seen in the B-52's video "Love Shack." He was acquainted with the band during his (and their) Atlanta days.
- Other than RuPaul's Drag Race and RuPaul's Drag U, RuPaul hosted his own talk show/ comedy sketch show on VH1
- On the week of Rupaul's 40th birthday in 2000, a replica statue of him was unveiled at Madame Tussaud's wax museum in New York City.
- He was the surprise guest at the VH1 Divas 2000: A Tribute to Diana Ross in an all star lineup that included Donna Summer, Faith Hill, Destiny's Child and Mariah Carey, performing Ross's hit song I'm Coming Out.
- Made a media comeback in 1996 after the tabloids dubbed him "The Wicked Witch of MTV" following his Milton Berle issue. He appeared in an exuberantly done gown by fashion desinger Bob Mackie at the 1996 VH1 Fashion Awards.
- Ended his affiliation with MTV, shortly after the success of his debut album, which was supported heavily by the network. Due to his departure from the written script during a live telecast of the 1993 Video Music Awards, uttering rude remarks to co-presenter comedian Milton Berle. His representatives later made a public statement that his offense was provoked by Berle's vulgar comments and harassing ways back-stage during the show.
- Scored four #1 singles from his debut album on the Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play charts, with Supermodel (You Better Work), A Shade Shadey (Now Prance), Back To My Roots and House Of Love.
- Born at 7:58 PM PST.
- His #1 dance single Supermodel (You Better Work) was covered by 80s dance sensation Taylor Dayne for the Lizzie McGuire Movie soundtrack in 2003.
- Ranked #85 on E TV's "101 Reasons The 90's Ruled".
- Was voted "Queen of Manhattan 1990" by club owners, promoters and djs at the annual event.
- Has appeared in four films with actress Stockard Channing in Smoke (1995), To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (1995), An Unexpected Life (1998) and The Truth About Jane (2000).
- In 2002 he recorded "You're No Lady" a dance-club song with actress Brigitte Nielsen as Gitta
- Featured in Lady Gaga's christmas special 'Lady Gaga and the muppets holiday spectacular' and done a duet of her song Fashion! from ARTPOP.