Kim Chi is the stage name of Sang-Young Shin, a drag performer from Chicago, Illinois. She is one of 12 contestants to compete on the eighth season of RuPaul's Drag Race and finished the season as a runner-up alongside Naomi Smalls.
RuPaul's Drag Race
In Episode 1: "Keeping It 100", Kim Chi did well in the photoshoot mini-challenge, where the queens had to pose with previous winners. For the main challenge, she was assigned the "RuPaul's Hair Extravaganza" design challenge from Season 3. She won the challenge due to her photo and acclaimed Givenchy-inspired outfit, despite being critiqued on her runway walk by Michelle Visage.
In Episode 2: "Bitch Perfect", Kim Chi was chosen last and was placed on the team "Lady Bitches". On the main stage, she was in the bottom 3, due to her lack of dance ability (Bob The Drag Queen commented and said that she "was possibly the worst dancer in RuPaul's Drag Race herstory") and was critiqued again on her runway walk, but was saved from lip syncing by her outfit and personality.
In Episode 4: "New Wave Queens", Kim Chi formed a team with Naomi Smalls and Robbie Turner, who she labels as "Team Best Friend Race". She names the team containing Naysha Lopez, Derrick Barry and Chi Chi DeVayne "Team Leftovers", as they are the remaining members who weren't instantly made a team. Kim Chi, Robbie Turner and Naomi Smalls were Team Punk and were the winning team, with Robbie being the winner of the New Wave Queens Challenge.
|Season Competed:||Season 8|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||2 (Ep. 1 and Ep. 8)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||0|
"I came to chop suey the competition!"
- Kim Chi helped Trixie Mattel get her first gig as a drag queen in Chicago, Illinois.
- She is the first queen to win a main challenge in season 8.
- She is the first queen to win the first main challenge and be in the bottom of the second challenge (excluding All-Stars).
- Kim Chi first started doing drag with Pearl on Halloween.
- Kim Chi is the only queen on season 8 to not lipsync before the music video challenge.
- Kim Chi is also one of the six queens to not lipsync, but still be in the bottom three (Not including All-Stars). The other five are Nina Flowers, Tyra Sanchez, Alaska, Courtney Act and Violet Chachki.
- She is also one of the only queens to win the first and the last challenge in their season, along with Violet Chachki and Sharon Needles.
- Unlike Sharon and Violet, Kim Chi did not win her season.
- Her mother does not know she does drag.
- "I came to DESTROY EVERYONE, with my make-up."
- "Donut come for me!"
- "Naysha is dancing like a soccer mom. You can get the ball in the goal, kids!"
- "I'm not going to be ashamed of being hungry, I am hungry!"
- "I think you're hot for a black guy, Naomi."
- "My name is Kim Chi, and say hello to yellow!"
- "This ad was paid out of my own pocket because no one cares. Do you?"
2nd & 3rd: Kim Chi & Naomi Smalls
4th: Chi Chi DeVayne, 5th: Derrick Barry, 6th: Thorgy Thor, 7th: Robbie Turner, 8th: Acid Betty, 9th: Naysha Lopez, 10th: Cynthia Lee Fontaine (Miss Congeniality), 11th & 12th (double elimination): Dax ExclamationPoint & Laila McQueen
Jason Carter • Miles Davis Moody • Bryce Eilenburg