Jinkx Monsoon is the stage name of Jerick Hoffer, an American drag performer, actor, and winner of Season 5 of "RuPaul's Drag Race".
Jerick Hoffer was born on September 18, 1987 in Portland, Oregon. The oldest of four children, Hoffer attended daVinci Arts for middle school and graduated from Grant High School. Hoffer came out as gay in middle school. He first performed in drag when he was 15 at the underage nightclub, Escape.
Hoffer was raised Catholic. When he was eighteen, he found out that he was of Russian Jewish ancestry on his mother's side. His drag character, Jinkx, identifies as Jewish. Hoffer also suffers from narcolepsy, which he revealed in the season premiere of RuPaul's Drag Race.
He paid his way through college by working as a janitor and graduated summa cum laude with a BFA in theater from Cornish College of the Arts in 2010.He has lived in Seattle, Washington, since 2006.
Hoffer began his career working on stages since the age of 15, beginning at The Streets in Portland, OR., an all ages gay homeless dance club. He appeared as the lead dancer in the world's largest drag queen chorus line, which made the Guinness Book of World Records. By 2012, he had advanced to roles in Seattle theaters, playing Moritz in "Spring Awakening" (produced by Balagan Theatre), Angel in "RENT" (produced by The 5th Avenue Theatre) and starring in Hedwig and the Angry Inch (produced by Balagan Threatre and Seattle Theater Group). In 2013, Hoffer starred in Hairspray the Musical as Velma Von Tussle and will reprise Hedwig in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (produced by Balagan Theatre and Seattle Theatre Group) Dec 2013.
A trained singer, Hoffer is half of the musical duo The Vaudevillians, a 1920s revival act, created by Hoffer and his musical partner Richard Andriessen. After his RPDR win, he booked The Vaudevillians for one night only at the Laurie Beechman Theater off Broadway, NYC. That one night show sold out for 6 months, enjoying 6 extensions.
Sharing her wonderful voice on episode six of RuPaul's Drag Race: ''Can I Get An Amen?'', she continued on her love of singing to put out an album, ''The Inevitable Album'', in May 2014.
On her "Meet The Queens" Interview for Season 5 of Rupaul's Drag Race, Jinkx Monsoon describes herself as being Seattle's hottest, youngest MILF, and as the hardest working single mother in show business. In the interview she explains how she came up with her stage name:
The name comes from Jinx, like you owe me a coke and Monsoon like the natural disaster because if there's a one in a million chance that something will go awry it's most likely going to happen to Jinkx, of course....Jinkx Monsoon
In the first episode of RuPaul's Drag Race, she also described herself as ''Seattle's premier Jewish narcoleptic drag queen.''
Jinkx describes herself as being about contrasts and what RuPaul describes as "a stage left, off center kind of quality".
RuPaul's Drag RaceEdit
In November 2012, Logo announced that Jinkx Monsoon was among 14 drag queens who would be competing on the fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. He was inspired to audition after seeing Sharon Needles on the fourth season of the show. Monsoon won the main-challenges for the episodes "Snatch Game" and "Drama Queens". For the "Snatch Game", he impersonated Edith Bouvier Beale, who was known for appearing in the documentary Grey Gardens. Monsoon also impersonated third season contestant Mimi Imfurst for the episode "Lip Synch Extravaganza Eleganza". As part of RuPaul's Drag Race, Monsoon sang on the "We Are the World"-inspired song "Can I Get an Amen?" The song's proceeds helped benefit the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. Monsoon also holds the record for most consecutive weeks being in the top, at 8 weeks. On May 10, 2013, Monsoon was named the Season 5 winner of RuPaul's Drag Race, winning the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar."
RuPaul's Drag Race StatsEdit
|Season Competed:||Season 5|
|Ranking:||1st Place (Winner)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (ep. 4)|
|Times as Team Captain:||1 (ep. 4)|
|Main Challenges Won:||2 (ep. 5, 9)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (ep. 11)|
- Jinkx is the winner of Season 5.
- Jinkx won 2 main challenges during her season, on episode 5 (Snatch Game) and episode 9 (Drama Queens).
- Jinkx won only one mini-challenge in episode 4, "Black Swan: Why It Gotta Be Black?" along with Coco Montrese where he became a team captain.
- Jinkx is the first contestant in series history to be ranked in the top placings in each episode for more than five consecutive weeks, with eight consecutive weeks.
- Jinkx is the only season winner to not win a main challenge within the first three weeks of competition, winning her first main challenge during week 5 (ep. 5).
- In episode 5, Jinkx portrayed American socialite Little Edie, and won her first main challenge.
- The only time Jinkx placed in the bottom two was in episode 11, "Sugar Ball" where she lip-synced against Detox to the song "Malambo No. 1" by Yma Sumac.
- The prizes Jinkx won included a custom jewel package from 'Fierce Drag Jewels' (ep. 5), a pair of fur coats from 'Fabulous-Furs' (ep. 9), and as the season winner, she won a supply of Colorevolution Cosmetics, a one-of-a-kind trip courtesy of AlandChuck.travel, a headlining spot on Logo's Drag Race Tour featuring Absolut Vodka and a cash prize of $100,000.
- Jerick Hoffer graduated summa cum laude with a degree in theatrical performance from Cornish College in Seattle
- Monsoon suffers from narcolepsy, which she explained to the other contestants during the show's season premiere.
- Hoffer's journey as Jinkx Monsoon is documented in the five part documentary web series "Drag Becomes Him."
Quotes About Jinkx MonsoonEdit
"Jinkx Monsoon is not just a drag queen, she's the best fucking performer in Seattle." - The Stranger
"I fucking love Jinkx i have idolised her for years and i fucking love her to death"~ Cherry Swan
"... Sings with the power of two Ethel Mermans in a bar brawl..." Adrian Ryan, The Homo Agenda
"No one should be this young and yet this incredibly talented." - Broadway World
"Jinkx shows off talent that was only glimpsed at on "Drag Race" and proves to be a real star on stage" Huffington Post "
"...everyone leaves this show with sides aching from laughter." "A pure delight." New York Times
|RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5|
| Winner: 1st: Jinkx Monsoon
Other Contestants: 4th: Detox, 5th: Coco Montrese, 6th: Alyssa Edwards, 7th: Ivy Winters (Miss Congeniality), 8th: Jade Jolie, 9th: Lineysha Sparx,
Pit Crew: Jason Carter, Shawn Morales