The Drag Makeover Challenge is a main challenge featured on RuPaul's Drag Race where a contestant is tasked with giving a "drag makeover" to another person. So far this challenge has been featured on every season of RuPaul's Drag Race with both men and women having been given drag style makeovers. Often considered to be one of the most difficult challenges of the season, several fan favorites have been eliminated from poor performance in this challenge, and it is often the challenge where a previously eliminated contestant was brought back into the competition.
The challenge first appeared in Season 1 where contestants were given masculine women to makeover. This idea later became it's own short lived show known as RuPaul's Drag U. From ever season after contestants have been challenged with putting other people in drag.
During Season 2 contestants where challenged to turn older men into "Drag Mothers". In Season 3 contestants were challenged to put athletic manly jocks into drag. It was also the first time am eliminated contestant was brought back to the show to compete again, making the challenge more difficult.
In Seasons 3,4 & 7, the episode where this challenge appeared on was when a previously eliminated contestant was brought back into the competition.
Season 5 had military men being made over, Season 6 featured engaged heterosexual couples where the male was given a full drag makeover, while Season 7 was the first time all the eliminated contestants were brought back to be given makeovers.
Season 8 featured a "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" theme where little women were given drag makeovers based on characters from the book.
Episode Five: Drag School of Charm
The girls are brought professional female fighters to teach the secrets of drag. Rebecca Glasscock wins the mini-challenge and picks the "prettiest" girl (Tempele) for herself, and pairs up the other girls with their "drag professor."
- Shannel is partnered with Sweepee who was the most masculine.
- Bebe Zahara Benet is partnered with Michelle.
- Nina Flowers is partnered with Mia.
- Ongina is partnered with Jarrett.
Bebe emphasizes culture with Michelle, Rebecca makes over Tempele in her own image, Nina puts her own 'Nina' spin on Mia, Ongina plays the masculine role to Jarrett's feminine touch, and Shannel goes for high glam with Sweepee. The judges love Shannel and Rebecca's output and name Rebecca the winner.
Episode Eight: Golden GalsThe main challenge consisted of the girls taking older gay men and transforming them into their drag mothers for the runway. The contestants were also expected to perform a lip synch with their mothers to RuPaul's song "Main Event" Tatianna, who won the mini-challenge, got to pick who each girl would be teamed up. Each girl had different problems they had to overcome while working with their drag mothers, from Raven's partner being overly hairy to Tatianna's partner having a bad leg. After their performances, the girls were judged based on their transformation of their partner into drag queens as well as their lip synch performance.
- Jujubee names her drag mother Contessa Touchė, and is poorly reviewed placing Jujubee in the bottom two.
- Pandora Boxx names her drag mother Litter Boxx, she is also poorly reviewed and placed in the bottom two.
- Raven names her drag mother Golda Lamė, who was considered an amazing tranformation, making Raven the winner of the challenge.
- Tyra Sanchez names her drag mother Big Tyra, she is neither praised nor criticed and is safe.
- Tatianna names her drag mother Annalisha, her use of a wheelchair was well recieved, but Tatianna does not win the challenge.
Episode Twelve: Jocks in Frocks
The queens must make over five masculine, heterosexual jocks as their drag sisters. Alexis Mateo gets to choose which queen gets which jock for winning the mini-challenge. As a twist, RuPaul reveals the queens must also dress their jocks as cheerleaders and perform cheers about safe sex. The jocks soon discover the challenges of drag as the queens teach them to walk, paint, and tuck their way to the top. Carmen decides to show off her jock's body as an expression of her own drag persona, Raja tries to bring out the fierceness in her quiet jock by using a classic movie look, Alexis is hit on by her jock as she transforms him in her own image, Yara works on getting her jock to match her spicy, sexy runway style and Manila is frustrated by her jock's antics but is helped by his eagerness to learn.
- Alexis Mateo names her drag sister Avals Mateo, the Mateos are critiqued for their cheer being too busy but are praised for their mirror-image appearance.
- Yara Sofia names her drag sister Drewlita Sofia, the Sofias are praised for their runway look despite not having as dynamic performance as the other queens.
- Raja names her drag sister Enigma, Enigma's poor runway walk and losing the judges attention during their cheer place Raja in the bottom two.
- Manila Luzon names her drag sister Fuschia Luzon, The Luzons dazzled the judges with their Chinese doll look and hilarious cheer routine, making Manila the winner.
- Carmen Carrera names her drag sister Lolita Cruz Carrera, the judges rave over Carmen's personal look but critique her choice in wardrobe for her drag sister's muscular build, placing her in the bottom two.
Episode Ten: DILFs: Dads I'd Like To Frock
The queens are paired up with dads for a maternity runway/makeover and striptease. It is revealed that Kenya has returned to the competition and wins the mini-challenge. Chad and Phi Phi fare well in the challenge, with Phi Phi being declared the overall winner.
- Chad Michaels names her drag mother Lady Samantha,
- Sharon Needles names her drag mother Robin Mansions,
- Latrice Royale names her drag mother Sharelle Royale,
- Kenya Michaels names her drag mother Lil' Mama Michaels,
- Phi Phi O'Hara names her drag mother Gi Gi O'Hara,
Episode Ten: Super TroopersFor the mini challenge, the remaining queens were exposed to drag boot camp by Storm (fitness trainer). Alaska won the challenge for outlasting the other queens, with her prize being to match the queens to a gay veteran for a drag makeover. Roxxxy was annoyed that Alaska picked Iszy, a short veteran for her, while Alaska gave Jinkx to the oldest veteran in order for her to perform badly due to her being Alaska's competition. On the main stage, the queens and veterans were challenged to perform a patriotic flag salute before walking the runway displaying theirtransformation
- Alaska names her drag sister Nebraska, although her padding was off; which made Nebraska look squared, their look was moderatley well recieved and their colorguard salute was well reviewed.
- Jinkx Monsoon names her drag sister/mother Fortuna Monsoon, they decided to pay homage to actress Judy Garland (whom Fortuna actually knew) and her daughter, actress Liza Minnelli for which they were well reviewed.
- Detox names her drag sister Beth Adome, Detox fumbles through her flag salute and Beth-Detox's looks were not up to the judges par, placing Detox in the Bottom Two.
- Coco Montrese names her drag sister Horchata Montrese, the judges read Coco for making herself the "pretty" sister and appearing to give Horchata the scraps left over from her outfit to make Horchata's. Coco is placed in the Bottom Two.
- Roxxxy Andrews names her drag sister Isabella Andrews, they're perfectly matching looks and Isabella's remarkable transformation make Roxxxy the winner of this challenge.
Episode Ten: Drag My Wedding
For this week's mini-challenge, the queens were challenged to use their bodies to create abstract paintings representing marriage equality. Bianca wins and is given the task of assigning each queen a bride-to-be for this week's makeover challenge. However, in a twist, it is revealed that the queens will be making over the grooms into blushing brides, not the brides themselves.
- Joslyn Fox names her daughter Bradonna Fox and struggles with her bride's aversion to doing drag because of his profession. Joslyn ends up in the bottom two and Lip Syncs against Adore Delano and is sent home.
- Courtney Act names her daughter Rien Act and is accused of upstaging her bride with her personal look. She is safe.
- Bianca Del Rio wins the challenge with her daughter Fifi Del Rio.
- Darienne Lake encounters problems when her couple decide they want a gothic-themed wedding and she cannot find any appropriate material. Her goth-themed bride Ann Drogyny did not land with all the judges who also criticize her personal look. She was safe.
- Adore Delano panics about not being able to sew and both her personal look and her bride Honey Bun Delano are also heavily criticized. She ends up in the bottom two against Joslyn Fox, gives an impassioned performance and she is saved again while Joslyn sashays away.
- BenDeLaCreme and her daughter Suzette à la Mode are given very positive critiques from the judges, both the bride's makeover and BenDeLaCreme's personal look are praised.
Episode Eight: Conjoined Queens
For the mini-challenge the queens had to create Orange Is the New Black-inspired look, using only prison uniforms and personal items the queens have, under the supervision of season four contestant Latrice Royale. The queens walk a make-shift runway in the workroom, and Kennedy Davenport is declared the winner. RuPaul gathers the queens to address his previous announcement of intending to bring one of the eliminated queens back into the competition. All the eliminated queens return. The main challenge for each queen still in the competition will be paired up with an eliminated queen, and create a conjoined twins-inspired drag look. The eliminated queen from the winning pair will then return to the competition, and once again be in the running for the title of America's next drag superstar. Because she won the mini-challenge, Kennedy gets to pair the queens up.
- Ginger Minj is paired with Sasha Belle. Ginger has difficulty doing the makeover because of her and Sasha's lack of sewing ability, and is upset with Sasha being distracted while they are meant to be working on the challenge. Sasha Belle leaves Ginger and talks to other contestants instead of helping in the challenge. The two land in the bottom because of the poorly executed and "tacky" look and lip sync for there lives. They win and Ginger keeps her place in the competition.
- Jaidynn Diore Fierce is paired with Tempest DuJour, because of there complete physical differences they have trouble coming up with a cohesive look and end up with a "basic" runway. They are put in the bottom against Ginger and Sasha. They lose the lip sync and Jaidynn is eliminated.
- Katya is paired with Mrs. Kasha Davis. They created a strong concept and character with comedic value and Katya is safe from elimination.
- Kennedy Davenport pairs herself with Jasmine Masters. Kennedy ends up safe.
- Miss Fame is paired with Kandy Ho. The look is critiqued for not being original. Miss Fame is safe.
- Pearl is paired with Trixie Mattel. The look they create is complimented for being diverse and funny, while still sticking to a twin theme. Pearl is announced the winner of the challenge and Trixie is allowed back her place in the competition.
- Violet Chachki is paired with Max who was eliminated the previous episode.The look is praised and well done, Michelle comments on being happy to finally see Max in a different coloured wig. They are safe.