|Bebe Zahara Benet|
Bebe Zahara Benet
Nea Marshall Kudi
About Bebe Zahara BenetEdit
Bebe Benet, born (Nea Marshall Kudi Ngwa) is a Drag Queen, Model, and Former American Drag Superstar, crowned in Season 1 of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Bebe Zahara Benet was known for her flawless runway presentations, her stunning outfits and for snatching the crown of America's Next Drag Superstar.
Bebe was born and raised in the Central African country of Cameroon. Four years prior to Drag Race, Bebe moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota. After winning drag race, Bebe eventually moved to New York City.
Bebe got her start in drag not long after she moved to Minneapolis. She first went to a gay bar and watched the queens before she'd performed shows, which got her attention. She later went in for an interview and was offered a part in the later performance "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper. Bebe then took the part and took the job as being a full drag artist. Then she
Drag Name OriginalityEdit
Nea chose "Bebe Zahara Benet" as his drag name because
- The name "Bebe" comes natural to Nea. Nea was fascinated with the name Bebe and he thought it would fit his drag persona well.
- Nea chose "Zahara" as the middle name because he wanted something to represent her home country of Cameroon in her name, such as the Sahara Desert.
- "Benet" is Nea's favorite French name. Nea wanted a french name in her drag name because Nea speaks French besides English..
Winning the ShowEdit
Bebe Zahara Benet was crowned America's Next Drag Superstar of Season 1.
Benet's first dance single, "I'm the Sh*t" was released on November 16, 2009. The single has been remixed by such notable remixers as Felix Baumgartner, Ralphi Rosario, and Mark Picchiotti. She released her sophomore single "Cameroon" in July of 2010. Benet made a cameo appearance in the music video for Erasure's re-release of their song, A Little Respect, in December of 2010 (which was a fundraiser for students of the Harvey Milk Institute in San Francisco). He released his thrid single "Dirty Drums" on April 17, 2012 via iTunes.
- During the Show
- "I bring a lot of International Influence, and right now I really feel like I'm ahead of the game."
- "I want to win this because, there is pride and dignity in what we do. Dressing up for a living, does not make us less of a man."
- "Right now I'm overwhelmed, because I can't believe it finally happened. Like a dream that you have been dreaming all the time, has finally come to life."
- Before drag race, Nea was modeling as a woman at the same time he was in school. It originally was not planned that way. Nea was supposed to be a male model, but the female models did not show up in the studio, so "Bebe" took over and posed as a woman. However, Nea did not perform as a woman, nor make money off of it.
- After winning RuPaul's Drag Race season 1, Bebe can choose just about any place she wants to go, whether it's for a show or for hosting at an event, as opposed to working 5 nights a week.
- After Drag Race, Bebe moved from Minneapolis, Minnesota to New York City.
- One of Bebe's most memorable performances was performing "Circle of Life" from the classic Disney cartoon, The Lion King.
- After Season 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race ended, Bebe Benet was cast as a new professor for RuPaul's Drag U Season 2. Bebe was the only new Season 1 Queen to enter the show, but was reunited with her fellow friends and contestants Shannel and Ongina.
- Bebe was signed a contract with Blueplate Global Records to record her single "I'm the Sh!t". Her music video is now released on YouTube and is available on Itunes and Amazon.